Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Birthday Dinner

I am sorry that I haven't had time to update my blog much. Life has been a little crazy, but I did want to put up the two recipes that I made for dinner on my birthday night.

Crab Cakes
I combined a couple of recipes to come up with one that I thought would be good, and it was!

1 lb. lump crabmeat
1/4 cup mayo
2 green onions, chopped fine
2 good dashes of hot sauce, I used Frank's
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, plus more for breading the outside
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Old Bay
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped
Lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk

Gently combine all ingredients except for lemon juice. Shape the crab cakes into 6 crab cakes, you can do four if you want them extra large. Place them on a plate and in the fridge for 2 to 4 hours.
Mix egg and milk together. Then dip crab cakes in egg wash and then dip in extra bread crumbs. Add butter and oil to large skillet. Once butter is melted and oil is hot place crab cakes in skillet and cook until golden brown on one side 2-3 minutes then flip and cook other side until golden brown. Keep warm in oven if you need to. Serve with sauce.

Lemon-Dill Sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2-3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced

To make the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Refrigerate until chilled. The sauce will thicken as it chills.

Based on Paula Deen's recipe but I like mine a little thicker than hers.

Squash Casserole from Hominy Grill. I cut it in half for our little family and it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment